Sunday, April 5, 2015

Revising Past Projects

Over the past break and days proceeding, I've been revising and re-printing past projects in preparation for the portfolio we have to put together. This is one of the projects that went through said revision process.

It's the book cover I designed for GRD3000 and you can see the before/after.

Before
This is the before, where you can see that the text on the spine and back aren't as neat as the text on the front. I also redid the tree on the back and changed the cover art on the front to something more universally symbolic to the book. I also edited the frames of the front and back so they do not become cropped by the edges.



After
The chalkboard background has gotten darker to improve contrast and the text on the flaps have been changed from Didot to Times New Roman for improved legibility. It was hard to read the thin white text on black. I also omitted the "written by" above the author, Harper Lee, because it's understood.




Overall, the thought behind the revision was to make things easier to read, refined, and de-cluttered. I think I achieved that goal with the revisions I made, and this will be the version going into the portfolio. I had to get out a chalkboard and re-write/re-draw these elements but I am pleased with the effort.