Saturday, February 13, 2016

Self Portrait & Timeline


I wanted to all portray all the different versions of me throughout a typical day (or night!) of design, and I thought that merging multiple photographs of myself would be an interesting way, both visually and conceptually, to do it.

To accomplish this, I set up a tripod and set a timer on my camera for 10 seconds. During those 10 seconds I had to quickly get in my pose and stay still. I did this multiple times with various props and wardrobe changes. Afterwards, I imported all the images into Photoshop and using layer masks, combined them all together.

I thought about the final composition I wanted, and this was my solution and approach. There may be other ways to do this, but based on my knowledge and abilities, I felt this was the most effective way for me.


The timeline was done using the same technique. There was a lot of planning and a lot of -behind-the-scenes concepts, ideas, and reasoning behind all the poses, layout, clothing, and arrangement that I won't get into detail, but nevertheless, I'm glad I was able to illustrate all of those ideas successfully. At first glance, the piece is visually interesting, and upon closer inspection, there are more and more things to be discovered. I wanted a deep sense of layering for this piece, but at the same time, wanted it to be visually engaging for the uninitiated.